Thursday, August 11, 2011

"seven minus one"

So I woke up this morning feeling a little homesick for the first time since I left home 24 days ago. Maybe it's because I feel sick today...and feeling sick always makes me miss the comfort of my own bed, my own space, my own food, my own schedule.

Funny how little things here and there can either make or break your day. We usually have no water at work - and today, simply having running water made me feel a whole lot better. When you're stripped of your usual surroundings, running water can make any mood turn around.

So. Back to being homesick. I find myself not really missing anything from America. So I wonder if I really am homesick, or if just feeling "seven minus one" (do the math; it equals "sick") makes me want to escape life here.

When I'm not feeling sick, I love life here. The food (in all of its gelatinous texture) doesn't gross me out, the daily power outages don't frustrate me, and even the dust that infiltrates my every pore has ceased to irritate me. I really do love it here.

Oh wait. Rewind.

This morning our boda driver tried (and successfully) ripped us off. For two people on a boda going from our house to work, we ALWAYS pay 2,000 shillings. So, when we got off the boda today and our driver asked us to add on another 1,000 shillings, my first response was the same as every other time a driver tries to cheat me: talk sense into the man until he agrees on 2,000. I expected the boda driver to concede, as they usually do, because they KNOW they are asking for an unfair price, but this driver didn't let up. No reasoning on earth would have changed the mind of this boda driver. We even threatened to never ride his boda again, and his response was, "That's fine." I almost lost it. So, I walked away, and Carlie (bless her heart), paid the driver the extra 1,000 shillings.

SO...maybe there ARE things about living here that frustrate me. And, of course, it's always possible that I'm still loving it here because culture shock hasn't quite hit yet. But for now, the verdict is out: living in Gulu is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.