Tuesday, May 8, 2012

amoeba alert!

"Amoeba" is one of those words that get passed around pretty frequently here, since it's a common diagnosis for stomach pains, GI issues, and the like. So, what is an amoeba? Well, Wikipedia defines an amoeba as "a shapeless unicellular organism." While that definition is more or less what we learn in biology class, unfortunately, it's not exactly the most helpful definition when you're diagnosed with having one. Despite the wealth of knowledge available on the world wide web, it's still a bit of a scavenger hunt to find out information about these organisms. 

Here are the basics: amoebas can be transmitted through things like contaminated water and unclean/raw fruits and vegetables (fertilizer in some regions of the world almost always contain animal feces). If a human has an amoeba and the conditions are favorable, symptoms can include nauseating feeling, loss of appetite, diarrhea, dysentery, and abdominal cramps. Surprisingly, you can also have an amoeba and exhibit zero of the previously mentioned diseases. 

When I started having cramps on and off for a week, I figured something was up with my body. Add loss of appetite to the equation and I was convinced there was something wrong with me. If you know me, you know that I LOVE to eat and am almost always hungry. So, not feeling hungry? There was definitely a problem with me. I admit that it took me over a week (I can be stubborn from time to time) to get myself to the doctor to get tested. When I finally did, my suspicions were confirmed! 

I had not one, but two amoebas floating around in my body. One was in cyst form, which is benign, and the other had the potential to give me some more serious GI symptoms (it was only a matter of time). Needless to say, I was pretty relieved to get some medicine and start my treatment. After about a day, I knew I was better when I felt hungry for the first time in a week. It was lovely.
My diagnosis from the doctor. I had to write my own name. Pretty legit, huh?
The prescription for medication. 



After spending the morning at the doctor's office, I treated myself to a nice relaxing day at The Manor for a day in and by the pool. The Manor is one of the best getaways from Kigali without actually leaving the city. Although I can't afford to stay in their rooms, I can afford a one-day pool pass at the low rate of 3,000 rwf - about 5 USD. Needless to say, it was worth every dollar!
The pool at The Manor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.