Saturday, April 7, 2012

uganda take 2

I returned to Rwanda on Friday, exhausted, but satisfied, after having spent 7 wonderful days re-visiting the great country of Uganda.

Our trip began on a cold, Friday morning (5am to be exact) at the Nyabugogo bus park. From there, we boarded the bus that would eventually take us to Kampala, 10 hours later. The bus ride was pretty uneventful, except when a bird flew into the side mirror of the bus and died (coincidentally, we witnessed the death of yet another bird on the tail end of our trip, but those details don't need to be discussed). We arrived in Kampala around 3:00, checked into our guesthouse, and decided to stretch our legs a bit before our next 6 hour bus ride to Gulu. We walked on over to Silver Spurs, a restaurant with some pretty good comfort food to satisfy those cravings when you're a home away from home. What better way to get ready for the next leg of the trip than to fill your stomach with yummy goodness?

Anyway, traveling to Gulu was another early morning for us. We arrived at the Post Bus at 6am, waited one hour outside with tickets in hand before boarding at 7, and didn't actual depart until 8 (this, by the way, is pretty standard for public transportation here). Anyway, a few hours later we arrived in Gulu, the city I had been itching to get back to the moment I left. We checked into our guesthouse, and then immediately set off to go in search of old, familiar faces. I can't explain how strange it was to step foot into the Krochet Kids Compound, to feel like it was just another ordinary day going to work, but knowing that I was just there for a temporary visit. Well, upon entering the compound I was welcomed like I have never been welcomed before - hugs, kisses, traditional dancing and shouting, being hoisted and carried...I was even asked to sit on one of the lady's laps. A little strange, I know, but at the same time it was a little comforting. Needless to say, being back in Gulu made me miss it all the more.

After a few days in Gulu we traveled South to return to Kampala, which really, was just our transfer point in our journey before heading to Kabale to spend a few days at Lake Bunyonyi. We figured it would be pretty rewarding to actually have some time of rest instead of running around like crazy 24/7. Well, I've been told a lot of things about Bunyonyi: "it's a little gem," or, "it's a treasure," and even as far as, "it's paradise." Admittedly, I was skeptical, but after seeing Bunyonyi for myself, I have to say that all those are pretty accurate descriptions of this place.

Although I am already plotting my next return to Uganda, for now, I am content to be back in Rwanda and looking forward to staying put for the next few months. Even now, two days later, I am still recovering from the 35 hours of travel over the past 7 days. Unfortunately, if you want to travel cheap, you have to be willing to put in the time. Fortunately for me, every minute was completely worth it. I just need some rest before my next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.