Friday, April 20, 2012

follow your heart & intuition...


 ...everything else is secondary.

I spent last night watching another TED video. I guess I must be craving inspirational talks or something because I've watched quite a few over the past 3 days. Anyway, yesterday's video was a commencement speech given by Steve Jobs at Stanford for the Class of 2005. I was intrigued by this talk, not only because Steve Jobs was the speaker, but because of its title - "How to Live Life Before You Die."

Within the the first 2 minutes of the video, I realized that this was the kind of "speech" I needed to hear. Perhaps it's because I feel like I'm in a pretty crucial transitional period in my life, or perhaps I am realizing how quickly time flies by, or, perhaps it's because I've recently come across a once (okay, maybe twice) in a lifetime opportunity.

What resonated with me the most about this speech was the idea of finding what you love to do. While most of us can be idealistic and would agree with the importance of finding our "dream job", many of us have found ourselves in a work situation that we simply do not love, and give excuses for it. We find ourselves afraid to change careers, feel guilty for leaving our current job post because people are depending on us, or have become too content in our situations to change - these excuses are plentiful.

The advice given by Steve Jobs is to find what you love, because to be truly satisfied comes from believing that what you do is indeed great work. And, the only way to do great work is to love what you do. In a nutshell: don't settle. ever.

In the next few weeks I will know whether or not the aforementioned "once in a lifetime" position will be granted me. Whether or not I am selected, I will, at the very least, know that I was not afraid to pursue it.

Finally, words to live by from Steve Jobs: Follow your heart and intuition....everything else is secondary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.