Friday, September 16, 2011

what is luxury?

Having no running water at our house for the 9th day in a row has gotten me thinking about what “luxury” means to me. It’s funny how your perspective can change so drastically in such a short period of time. So, what exactly is luxury? I think I may have a few ideas.

Luxury is:
  • showering with more water than it takes to flush a toilet (yes, it’s possible to shower with less)
  • running water at your disposal
  • not needing to walk 10 minutes to the closest water pump
  • having access to soap at hand washing facilities
  • not needing to use rain water to cook pasta
  • taking a boda to work instead of walking
  • wearing clean clothes
  • the ability to keep your feet clean
  • free wifi
  • toilet paper
  • reliable electricity
  • paved roads
  • doors with fully functioning locks
  • handles on doors
  • personal transportation
  • having options
  • the opportunity to establish a savings fund
  • having rights

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.