Friday, September 9, 2011

jack and jill went up a hill

yesterday we invited some of our coworkers over to our house for dinner. everything was going according to plan until we arrived home and realized we did not have any water. it also happened to be the night we decided to make spaghetti for dinner, which, as we all know, requires water!

luckily, Dennis had the idea to some water from the local well. the kind of well that requires pumping. i decided to accompany Dennis, especially since i have yet to pump my own water while living in Africa! so, we befriended my neighbor Vicky (met her for the first time yesterday) and together, we walked to the well to fill up some jerry cans.

It was at the well that we were told that access to water was 1,000 shillings a month (about 50 cents). well, we didn't have any money on us, but luckily, the lady who was in charge of that well allowed us to take water free of charge!

Random fact: you need to remove your shoes while at the well or you can be fined.

Those around the well encouraged me to pump some water. I of course wasn't going to turn down the offer, and so I pumped water for the first time in my life! I filled up a whole jerry can! I guess it's not really a big deal by African standards, but by my standards, it was a HUGE deal!

needless to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. i hope you are too. =)

and here, for your viewing pleasure, a picture from the night!

2 comments:

  1. Pumping your own water nice check that one off the list. Now you just need to carry said jug on your head. Just kidding really proud of you! Way to jump in fully!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.