Wednesday, November 28, 2012

10 + 1

One of my student's responses to the question on an evaluation form:
"On a scale of 0-10, what would you rate as the overall quality of your teacher trainer?"
I just finished teaching my last class in Rwanda, and although I would like to say that I am completely relieved, I am partly sad that this time has come to an end as well. This past year, specifically in regards to work, hasn't been an easy one. There were definitely times when I had wondered whether or not what I was doing had any impact, if I got through to my students at all - intellectually, emotionally, whatever. I'm sure it's safe to say that there are some students that simply won't miss me as much as others, some that didn't feel like they gained anything during my time as their teacher, but that's to be expected. On the flip side, there are definitely some that I know will miss me, because they have said so. I know that sounds a bit vain, but as someone who expresses and receives love through words of affirmation, I thrive on positive feedback. Luckily for me, in the past few days, I've received a lot of goodbye emails full of thank-yous and words of encouragement, all which validate my time spent here in Rwanda. I want to add some of the quotes from my students that make me smile, so I hope you don't mind this little love-fest that's about to happen!
I  would like to thank you very much many many thanks. I learned more from you, not only in English, your behavior  and how you teach us it was good. You helped me in whatever you did, I didn't know to write, to speak in English before but now I can speak and write  at least  2 sentences. All of this are came from you. - Uwamahoro Marie Chantal  
You are lovely, hard working, and your legacy in GR is unforgettable. We learned much from you. Keep it up! Greet your friends and family on my behalf. I wish you all the best:"a good job, means of continuing your studies, a good husband and happy family, etc" Whenever you feel like you want to come back to Rwanda, don't mind where to stay because my house will always be open for you. God bless you and keep you close to him. - Isingizwe Josiane  
If it was possible, I could say "PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!" Jocelyn, I cannot forget your inspiring smile and motivation which increased in many of GR scholars courage and passion to success. I will always remember you through the photos we took at Musanze, and near Ruhondo lake during the summit. May the Almighty God always be with you! - Habamenshi Darius
Jocelyn, you have been the person I never met here. I really appreciate your patience and simplicity. Your time spent on our English class is very significant for me, it has been helpful, I learned a lot from you. I wish you all the best in your future. May God bless you. Thank you so much. Will miss you. - Mukeshimana Beata
Hi excellent teacher! Even if I say goodbye I am very sad but nothing to do because it is the time to go back to your place and I think you are going to continue to the other job, so, let me say good luck in your new job and we will still remember your hard work in GR family. - Muyenshaka Jean Pierre

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.