Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Kigali's Abandoned Amusement Park

The best thing about traveling to a new place is finding the city's best hidden secrets. These hidden secrets can take on many forms; a hole in the wall restaurant, an awesome market or shopping area, a breathtaking view. However, in all my years of traveling, the one thing that I never expected was to find an abandoned amusement park. I wish I could say that I had indeed "stumbled upon" this phenomena by accident, but in reality, I only found this place because of my determination to find out if the surrounding rumors had any truth to them.

So, early Saturday morning, after having enjoyed a lovely breakfast, Deke and I set out to solve this mystery for ourselves, once and for all. It took a while of searching and a few wrong turns, but finally, we found ourselves standing in front of about a dozen red bumper cars, overgrown with weeds, dust and cobwebs - the usual result of neglect. We turned the corner and found even more abandoned parts; unicorns (for a carousel perhaps?), dolphins that twirled, water boats for the nearby lake, and even an indecently exposed mermaid. Needless to say, this expedition was pretty creepy but pretty awesome all at the same time, and made for a pretty exciting Saturday morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.