Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rwanda's Museum of Natural History



Today, Deke and I decided to visit the "Museum of Natural History," located right in Kigali, not far from the town center. It never really occurred to us that the museum was something we wanted to visit, but it seemed like a good idea given the fact that we didn't have much to do today. For the equivalent of about 10USD (half price with a student ID or proof of residency!), we were able to get 30 minute's worth of entertainment at the museum. I wouldn't say that it was worth my money, but I did get a few laughs in, so that's always a win in my book! So, before you continue further to the "tour", you should disregard any preconceived notions you may have regarding the words "natural history" and "museum" - unfortunately, museums here are just not the same as they are at home. With this in mind, sit back, relax, and enjoy your visit! 
This exhibit, entitled "Akagera," depicts the wildlife found in Rwanda's safari park.
(notice the diversity of animals that share the same habitat; yes, including the river otter on the right)
      
An array of of artifacts, starring the miniature-sized wooly mammoth.

The dinosaur exhibit (not plastic toys).
The vast variety of East African animals (again, not plastic toys).
Two hippos in battle, with a giraffe overlooking the scene.
Two cubs play as the nearby male watches protectively over his pride.
A mountain gorilla protected inside a glass case.
(notice the authentic elephant skull in the background that has no protection)

Authentic alligator hide, laying on a tile floor, exposed, with no covering.







I hope you enjoyed getting a small taste of Rwanda's Museum of Natural History. If you're ever in-country, I hope you find your way to Kigali and take a look for yourself! I promise it will be worth it, one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.