Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving in Africa



Thanksgiving in Africa just isn't quite the same.

Coming from the East Coast, I'm so accustomed to the changing of seasons to remind me of the time of year. Leaves changing color, the temperature dropping, shorter days - you know, all of that good stuff. But here, the weather has just been constant (despite the fact that we're supposed to be in "dry season" - it still rains twice a day!). On top of that, there aren't any holiday decorations, no talk of celebrations...there just isn't any hype! Even China had Santa Clauses and snowflakes everywhere! I have to admit I miss that. A lot. Didn't think I really would.

Today, the day after Thanksgiving, while everyone still has the day off to celebrate the holiday, I'm here at work, trying to remind myself that Thanksgiving really did happen, even though the fullness of my belly reminds me that I, yet again, gorged myself during Thanksgiving meal. I think I miss the day after Thanksgiving even more than Thanksgiving day itself. Friends and family still gathered together, Black Friday shopping (for some), eating leftovers and sleeping all day without guilt are some of my fondest memories of Thanksgiving. But, alas, I celebrated Thanksgiving in Africa this year. I can't say it was better than being at home, but it was still pretty awesome.

Although I had to work a half day (its pretty good, considering all things), it wasn't too bad. We spent the morning checking hats (surprise, surprise), and then I went home and took a mid-afternoon nap, since watching my roommates and fellow interns cook was going to be a very exhausting experience. Needless to say, their dishes came out amazingly. We then traveled by boda in the light rain to join the others for our Thanksgiving meal.

Whoever said cooking and eating in Africa would be a challenge was wrong. Our Thanksgiving meal consisted of: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin/squash, sweet potatoes with brown sugar topping, caramelized carrots, macaroni and cheese, corn bread and stuffing. Dessert consisted of kettle corn popcorn, apple pie, pumpkin bread, and crepes with banana & chocolate syrup. Not too bad for Africa, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Like stitches in a fabric that are a part of the masterpiece, so are the moments of experience, reflection, and revelation in my life as I travel the globe. These moments are the pieces that have come together to make me who I am today, and will continue to shape and mold me and I continue in this journey called Life.